Sunday, May 17, 2009

Boston-Day 1

 


Debbi and I arrived in Boston Monday afternoon. We took the subway to the back bay where our hotel, The Westin Copley, was located. It was an easy and cheap (1.70) train ride and the subway station let us off right near our hotel. We checked in, dropped off our luggage and headed over to the Prudential building to check out the views. Once we reached the 50th floor where the obsevation deck is we realized they charge $12. to go out on the observation deck. Being the smart frugal travelers that we are we opted to go up to the bar on the 52nd floor and spend that money on a couple of drinks while we took in the view. Then we headed over to Legal Sea Food for dinner to get us started on our fill of seafood for the week.
Tuesday, our first full day there, we started our day with the Duck Tour. I HIGHLY reccomend this to anyone visiting Boston. You ride on an amphibious vehicle (some of which are original WWII vehicles) and they drive you around Boston and into the Charles River. Our driver was hilarious and the 80 minute tour was tons of fun. It was also a great way to take in the sights and get an idea of what we really wanted to see when walking through the city.
After the tour we headed over to the Boston Public Library (of course) and spent some time walking through and just taking in the architecture. It's a beautiful building and the first public lending library in the U.S.
Then it was back on the train to head out to the JFK Library. We spent a couple of hours there and I actually learned many new things about JFK's life and his time in the White House. By the time we finished it was getting late so we headed back on the train to our hotel.
That night we went to Joe's American and had back bay Sangrias (EXCELLENT) and Lobster ravioli. We had an interesting conversation with our waiter who mentioned that he lived in CA for a year and everyone from CA is "dumb as rocks" and that he also had a group in from TX the previous week and they were also "dumb as rocks". Debbi and I still tipped him and I'm not sure why. Maybe we are dumb as rocks. LOL! That quote did give us great laughs the rest of our trip though. Whenever we were lost or not sure where we wanted to go, etc. One of us would accuse the other of being "dumb as rocks".
After dinner we were still not ready for the day to end so we walked down Commonwealth Ave to the Boston Public Gardens and saw the Swan Boats and also the bronze ducks from "Make Way for Ducklings" where we had to take our pictures sitting on the ducks. The public gardens were beautiful and I am in love with Commonwealth avenue. I picked out my home and everything. Now if only I were independently wealthy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: