Sunday, June 06, 2010

Rock and Roll 2010

I ran my first 1/2 marathon today and it was a GREAT experience. The weeks building up to it were stressful and I worried about so many things, but when the day finally arrived it all turned out ok. I carpooled down to San Diego yesterday with my friends Shari and Diana. We got to spend plenty of time at the expo before checking into our hotel. Then we met some of my other running friends for a good pasta dinner before turning in at 8:45. Are we party animals or what? You get the sweaty end of race picture first because that is where blogger put it and I am too tired to move it :)
This was our view from our corral while waiting to start. Let's just say the term corral is appropriate. I truly felt like we were being herded to the start. This was the only time that I felt the crowd of 40,000 runners. Every assured me that things thin out pretty quickly once you start, but I did not believe it until I saw it for myself.

I had to include a couple of pictures of the views we got while running on the freeway (which was obviously shut down). I really found it fun to be running on the freeway, but I am sure anyone trying to use the freeway and encountered barricades was not quite so giddy. Sorry commuters!


This sign was really a motivator and although they were not passing out margaritas, damn, they did have a great band, a hose and energy drink. All good!
I finished in a respectable 2:38 and am surprised to say that I would not be opposed to doing another one someday.....

No comments: