Well both Scott and Zachary woke up Thanksgiving morning with colds and they have gotten much worse today. So I am making my homemade chicken noodle soup today. I got the recipe off the internet a few years ago when I wanted to make homemade soup for my best friend who was recovering from surgery and came down with a cold. This recipe is the BEST I have ever tasted and now we make it every winter when anybody in the house is sick. Sometimes I double the batch and freeze some (without the noodles) so if I'm sick I can defrost some easily. Here is the recipe in case anyone is interested in trying it.
1 (2-3 lb) whole chicken
3 stalks celery with leaves
1 pound baby carrots
2 onions chopped
2 cubes beef bouillon
1 packet chicken soup mix
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 pinch dried thyme
1 pinch poultry seasoning
1 pinch dried basil
5 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 pinch dried parsley
1 (8 oz) package bow tie pasta
1. Place chicken and celery leaves in a large pot. Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 30-40 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and place in a bowl to cool.
2. Place chopped celery, carrots, onion, boillon, soup mix and chicken broth in pot and let simmer. Season with thyme, poultry seasoning, basil, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley.
3. When chicken is cool enough to handle bone and cut up meat into bite size pieces. Return meat to the pot. Cook until vegetables are tender and flavors are well blended, about 90 minutes.
4. Stir in pasta and cook 10 to 15 minutes more.
I have tried subsitutions and leaving some things out (when I don't have something), but I really like this recipe just as it is. It's great with fresh baked bread on a cold rainy day.
Friday, November 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That sounds delicious. Thanks for posting it.
I hope the sickies leave your house soon.
I'll be filing this recipe away for future reference. Hope everyone is back in action soon - it's no fun to have sickies around!
Post a Comment