Thursday, May 17, 2007

We have an armadillo in our house

Every day Riley is a new animal. We have had a tiger climbing the sofa, a bunny hopping through the house, a kitty rubbing on our legs, a puppy bouncing through the house, you name it… she has been it. Today she is an armadillo. She popped about of bed this morning and said, “mama today I’m an armadillo, but I don’t know what to eat.” I told her that I did not know what armadillos eat and she said very seriously, “but mama how can I be an armadillo if I don’t know what to eat?” So we discussed what armadillos look like and where they live. She said that armadillos have long claws and like to dig so we came to the conclusion that they must eat bugs and worms as part of their diet. So she had bugs and worms for breakfast which was really waffles and blueberries. I tell you she has quite the imagination. So my little armadillo is off to school and tonight we will read the armadillo books that I checked out from the library and YES, they do eat worms and bugs among other things.

4 comments:

Shelly Kelly said...

I will try to remember, but when I get home tonight from work I'll send you some photos of real armadillos at the Armand Bayou Nature Center. Of course, when you visit Texas, you'll see plenty of armadillos (Texas state animal). Unfortunately, most of them will be on the side of the road... if you know what I mean.

I've even seen a few (alive) on campus snuffling around in the leaves.

Keri said...

We actually knew it's the Texas state animal because Zachary is doing his 5th grade state report right now and his state is... Texas. I think that's why Riley picked armadillo this morning. Last night she was sharpening the colored pencils so Zachary could draw and color the Texas state seal.

Brenna and Molly said...

What a hoot she is. It's nice to see her using her imagination and enjoying some fun. Just when we think tey are growing up too fast . . . Enjoy her!

Karen said...

Oh, I remember seeing an armadillo in my in-laws' yard when lived in Florida. What an interesting looking animal!