Tuesday, July 24, 2007

There are two lobsters in my house

BOTH, the kids have sunburns. My in-laws took the kids to the beach today and brought them home sunburned again. This is the third time in their lives they have taken them to the beach and this is the third time they have come home sunburned. So, three strikes and their out. I told Scott that his parents are no longer allowed to take our kids to the beach. I even commented to my MIL when I picked them up (and before their sunburned really showed) that they looked a bit pink and she commented that "my mother had lots of sunburns and lived to 89 without getting skin cancer". Excuse me? That's the reasoning behind not bothering with sunscreen. We have even spoken to her about it in the past and Scott put sunscreen on the kids before he dropped them off and gave her sunscreen to put on them at the beach. She did not even take it with her, but left it at home. I am religious about wearing sunscreen and putting it on the kids. We spend lots of time in the sun and I am very tan, but we never go out without sunscreen on and always reapply it every couple of hours. So it makes me really angry when someone else takes our children out and disregards our wishes. Aaargh!!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, I would be mad as well. Yep, they're out!

Brenna and Molly said...

I'm with you 100%. We practically live at the pool in the summer but my blonde and lt. brown haired, fair children are sunblocked to the hilt. I was not a sun-worshiping kid or teen but I have a 2 inch scar on my arm that attests to the fact that skin cancer can develop nonetheless! Kids get preoccupied and don't remember to reapply so need adults to look out for them. Sorry your ILs can't do that. :(

Shelly Kelly said...

That's frustrating. I wonder why they're so against it. I guess it's good to know their limitations so you can plan for them to spend time with the kids doing other fun things.

Hope you have enough aloe.