Wednesday, April 11, 2007

We went on a safari today!

Riley's class went on a safari today. They visited the savannah, the rain forest, the ocean and the desert. The kids all made their own jeeps, well I think some dad's made the jeeps, and they had binoculars made out of empty toilet paper rolls and of course they had to have safari hats.
They all walked from the school to the park next door where the parent volunteers had set up each "region" with stuffed animals that the kids had brought in. I was the customs agent in the savannah stamping the kids passports and telling them "welcome to the savannah". Then the kids got a clipboard and had to check off the animals they saw and whether they were a mammal, bird, insect or reptile, etc.

They had to search the trees for animals lurking above and make sure not to get to close to the ferocious beasts. Riley and Sierra had a close call with a tiger and had to "run for their lives".
After all the fun it was back to the school to watch an animal planet movie at the "drive in" while in their jeeps.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brenna and Molly said...

That looks like so much fun! What a great unit to study. Riley must have had fun making (and driving!) here Jeep. I love the photos of them "driving" into the park! I love capturing the creative things they do! SHe'll be glad for the photos when she's older too!

Karen said...

Now I can see why you say your children are in a great school system. What a NEAT idea! Love the photos!